[GDNET] PhD, MS, and MFA positions in data visualization / large scale data management at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, USA

Dunne, Cody c.dunne at northeastern.edu
Wed Nov 29 17:23:35 CET 2017

PhD, MS, and MFA positions in data visualization / large scale data management:
Northeastern University in Boston, MA, USA

Northeastern University's College of Computer and Information Science (CCIS) has a growing research focus in data science, in particular **data visualization** and **large scale data management**.

The **DATA Lab** focuses on research problems in data management, data mining and machine learning with particular emphasis on scalability of algorithms to large data.

The **Visualization Lab** focuses on understanding human perception and cognition, as well as designing visualization and interaction techniques for exploring complex data.

Our growing labs have **eight open and funded PhD positions** focused on data storytelling; analytic provenance; tree and graph/network visualization; scalable approaches for managing uncertain, inconsistent, distributed and network data; cybersecurity and defense geospatial network visualization; visualization for healthcare; multidimensional data visualization; and visualization perception and cognition. We have a rich tradition of working on meaningful problems in collaboration with civic, business, and global partners. Our warm, supportive community of researchers eagerly seeks women and minority students to promote diversity.

We are part of a strong team of 63 CCIS faculty with several related groups in areas such as network science, personal health informatics, cybersecurity, information retrieval, probabilistic AI, applied data science, distributed machine learning, NLP, and theory. The college is expanding rapidly and is now highly ranked among top computer science schools in terms of publications at selective venues.

Students interested in graduate studies at Northeastern on data science and visualization have several degree programs to choose from:

PhD: https://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/academics/phd/

- PhD in Computer Science (due Dec. 15)
- PhD in Network Science (due Jan. 1)
- PhD in Personal Health Informatics (due Jan. 20)
- PhD in Information Assurance (due Feb. 15)

MS: https://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/academics/masters/

- MS in Computer Science (due May 1)
- MS in Data Science (due May 1)

MFA: https://camd.northeastern.edu/artdesign/academic-programs/mfa-in-information-design-and-visualization

- MFA in Information Design and Visualization (due Feb. 1)

PhD students who are making acceptable progress are guaranteed at least five years of full funding. Spring PhD admission is available for exceptional students.

If you are interested in working at the DATA or Visualization Lab, please visit our websites to learn more:

- https://visualization.ccis.northeastern.edu/research-opportunities/
- https://db.ccis.northeastern.edu/research-opportunities/

Please post or share our recruiting fliers with interested students:

Visualization Lab flyer (PDF): https://bit.ly/CCIS-vis-flyer
Data Lab Flyer (PDF): https://bit.ly/CCIS-data-flyer

Thank you,

Cody Dunne