[GD-election] GD elections are about to start

Giuseppe Liotta giuseppe.liotta at unipg.it
Wed Dec 20 11:10:06 CET 2017

Dear Graph Drawers,

This e-mail is to announce that the elections of two members of the
Graph Drawing Steering Committee are about to start. We, the community
of graph drawers, shall elect two members for the period (2018-2020),
and the steering committee will then appoint two more members for the
same period.

I take this opportunity to thank Martin N"ollenburg and Alexander
(Sascha) Wolff for the great work that they did as elected members for
the years 2015-2017.

Similar to the previous elections, we have the help of some volunteers
who are going to act as election officers. The election officers this
year are: Sascha Wolff and myself.  Sascha and I would like to introduce
the use of a web e-voting platform that guarantees anonymity and may
also be a convenient way to collects statistics about this and future
elections.

Details about the election procedure and about the e-voting platform are
given below.

According to our bylaws (available at
http://www.graphdrawing.org/doc/bylaws-sc-composition.pdf) , there will
be a two-stage procedure.

Phase 1:  nomination of candidates  (January 8 - January 21, 2018)
You can nominate up to *five* candidates.

Thereafter, we shall immediately contact the top nominees and ask for an
ok to  go for Phase 2, until (hopefully) 10 of them accept.

Phase 2: voting (Feb. 1 - Feb. 14, 2018)
The nominees who agreed to stand at the end of Phase 1 are the
candidates of Phase 2. You can vote for up to two candidates.

The top two candidates are elected.

Your votes are secret. You can vote without specifying any statistical
information about yourself. In case you wish to provide this additional
information, please be ensured that the statistical data are only
collected in aggregated form. In addition, the platform is set up in
such a way that the aggregated data are visible to the election officers
only at the end of the voting period.

At the beginning of each phase, you will receive an e-mail from the
voting platform ballotbin (https://www.ballotbin.com/) that allows you
to vote exactly once per phase.

This e-mail is send to the mailing list GDelection. There are 492 e-mail
addresses in this list. The e-mail addresses listed in GDelection belong
to:  (i)Participants of at least one of the last four editions of the
International Symposium on Graph Drawing and Network Visualization; (ii)
authors of at least one paper published in the Proceedings of one of
the  above mentioned symposiums; (iii) current members of the GD
Steering Committee; (iv)current members of the GD Advisory Board.

Best regards,

Giuseppe Liotta
GD Steering Committee Chair-person